When I was at the park on Friday, I cut a couple of shoots from 2C-003 Camellia japonica 'Blackburniana' and a couple from 5C-002 Camellia japonica 'Adolphe Audusson', put them in a bag and brought them home. There are two plants in section 2C labelled 'Blackburniana' and they are completely different. The other one, 2C-004, … Continue reading Mt. Edgcumbe update – Identification issues – 12/3/2023
Camellia ‘1001 Summer Nights’ Jasmine
New Camellias tend to slip quietly onto the market, appearing first in specialist nurseries before making it into mainstream garden centres, presumably after the wholesale sector has adopted them and produced them in large numbers. Camellia ‘1001 Summer Nights' Jasmine has been available for a year or two but this year’s September Chelsea Flower Show … Continue reading Camellia ‘1001 Summer Nights’ Jasmine
Sasanqua season 2018 – 4
I made it back to Mt Edgcumbe on Tuesday after a three week absence to find that the sasanqua season there is all but over. On the other hand, there was a fair smattering of other things flowering and I ended up taking quite a lot of photos. The sasanqua x reticulata hybrids are moving … Continue reading Sasanqua season 2018 – 4
The season is under way.
It was late in the day before I finished my planned jobs and set off to see what I could find in flower. C. sasanqua 'Hugh Evans' is flowering in areas 1G and 10. 'Tanya' is out in 1G but the flowers are small and few in number. It's a variety with small leaves and a … Continue reading The season is under way.
Another small step
I have put pictures up for another section at Mount Edgcumbe, 1L. It is a bit longwinded to slot in pictures to an existing entry so I am waiting until I have the majority in a section before putting anything up. A lot of stuff is starting to flower now and I am snapping away, … Continue reading Another small step
New Year, same objective
It's nearly three weeks since I was up at Mt Edgcumbe: Christmas, New Year and a terrible cold are now history. The forecast was for rain all day, I set out with misgivings. It stayed dry and there was much to see. The sasanquas have finished with the exception of 'Gay Sue'. Some of Dr … Continue reading New Year, same objective
New additions, old problems
Yesterday morning was spent producing labels on a Gravograph machine. Some were for new additions to the collection, others for plants which have lost their labels for one reason or another. Today I went back to attach some of the labels, but more particularly, to put wire around some of the newly planted bushes that … Continue reading New additions, old problems
Mt Edgcumbe, redrawing the maps
One of the more important tasks I have undertaken over the past few months is to update the maps of the collection. These are hand written and have been much amended and annotated over the years. Each section has been checked, noting where plants are missing, have been replaced or additions made. I have then … Continue reading Mt Edgcumbe, redrawing the maps